Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Lost in Translation

I took several classes in college from a professor who challenged my thinking and instigated a paradigm shift withing my conscious being that I still feel and see the ramifications of currently. There was a particular class, a human development/psych., upper division class, that planted this seed of common translation that I write about now. We were instructed in our papers to first read, digest and synthesize for ourselves the concepts to go into our papers. Then we had to translate the concepts, vocabulary, ideas and complete philosophical argument of our paper onto a level any lay person could read, comprehend, and apply. The first portion of this academic task was difficult enough, but trying to 'translate' academic concepts into easily digestible concepts was even more so. I remember bemoaning my fate to a friend, "How the hell am I supposed to do this, I'm not mature enough, smart enough, ____enough!?!"
I think I did alright, for a slacker junior procrastinator. Red writing all over my paper but I scraped by with mostly A's and B's.
Now I have two children, one who talks incessantly and one who is just learning how to verbalize beyond "dada" and "duckaduckaducka". I find myself becoming impatient, tone getting dangerously annoyed, with my 3 year old, quite often. She has such definite ideas, is stubborn as hell, but has an amazing brain that is constantly planning, plotting, crafting, synthesizing and imitating. We clash, I think, not because we are so different in what we want, but how we go about what we want. It's becoming increasingly, painfully clear that some translation is in order. She needs to understand, on her level, what I want, and I need to understand things from her perspective. Obviously some things will fall between the cracks, some things we will just need time and maturity to flavor in order for their to be understanding. But until then, I will do my best to translate my thoughts for her and to extrapolate meaning from her communications, verbal and otherwise.

0 comments: