Thursday, September 20, 2007

all the wild horses

hi again. I've been avoiding blogging and now I think I'm ready. Deep breath. Okay...

So, my older daughter got a card from her Nanna (my mom) this week, along with some cute clothes. The card had two horses running in a field-a mare and her foal. The inside was filled with Nanna-esque goodness, love and kisses. Juxtapose this with the cynical editorials I've been obsessively reading on the net and this is why my head has been roiling(no, not rolling). Sometimes all the human tragedy, the bleakness of our newscasting, the reality of it all, gets to me. I am not saying it isn't important to read, keep ourselves apprised of the current situations outside our window. What I am saying is that sometimes we all need a good love-in. huh? That's right. We need to remember all the good things in our lives, all the things that make us happy, smile, giggle, even. We need to make some room in our lives for love and silliness and dreaming. And my mom's card to my wonderful, loving daughter made me remember that. So I sat last night up the girl's room, lights dimmed, night lite on, snuggley in my daughter's comforter, arms wrapped around her little frame, and read her the card. And I poured all my love for her and her sister, all my longing for them to have a good life, all my apologies for being a crappy mom sometimes, into that recitation.
In the daylight, with the girls running/crawling around, bashing strollers into the walls, throwing blocks and screaming at anything that's moving, the love may not be as easy to draw upon and 'pour out'. But the love is still there. And hopefully, if I can practice what I preach, I can let a little more love in my heart every day, and hopefully give it away, too.

0 comments: